Thursday, September 8, 2011

Pasta with Proscuitto & Peas


I love recipes that require a little simmering time. I'm a huge multi-tasker - verging on ADD sometimes, but don't tell anyone - and I'll frequently find any excuse to step away from the stove, even for just a moment to look at or do something else. So I love when I get to prep a few ingredients, get them simmering beautifully, and walk away. It feels like a little surprise, to suddenly have an extra half hour or more to fritter away on facebook accomplish important things.


But what I love more than my extra free time, is the amazing, tastes-like-I-slaved-all-day-over-a-hot-stove flavor that usually results. It's almost like the recipe agrees to keep my secret about that whole time away from the stove thing, like a good friend who'll keep your economics teacher from finding out that you totally cut class. What they don't know won't hurt 'em, right?


And trust me, your secret is totally safe with this recipe. With knock-your-socks-off full-bodied flavor, no one will know you only put about 15 minutes worth of work into it. All anyone will know is that they want to eat it again and again. ...and that's what it's all about. :)


Pasta with Prosciutto & Peas
from Big Bowl of Love
yields 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients
2 cups frozen baby peas
1 large onion, sliced thin
2 cups canned chopped tomatoes
2 slices prosciutto, finely chopped
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
8 ounces rigatoni or penne
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus additional for sprinkling
cracked pepper

Directions
1. In a sauce pot, combine the peas, onion, tomatoes, prosciutto, olive oil, and salt. Cover and summer over medium heat, just under a boil, for 30 to 45 minutes.
2. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot you boiled in. Over medium heat, add the sauce to the pot with the pasta. Mix gently so you don't squash the peas. Heat thoroughly for about 30 seconds. Add the butter and the Parmesan cheese, and mix gently but well. Remove from heat.
3. To serve, pour into a serving bowl, sprinkle with extra Parmesan cheese, and a nice crack of pepper over the top.

4 comments:

  1. This pasta dish looks quite delicious! I love prosciutto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm....sounds wonderful! It reminds me of a dish my sister makes...but she adds cream :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great. I love those simple pasta dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just tried peas and prosciutto with chicken and I loved it! The combo with pasta sounds great.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...